One of the many perks of a career in massage therapy is that you have a lot of freedom for flexibility. For example, a career in mobile massage therapy can literally take you anywhere! Working as a mobile massage therapist means you visit clients at their homes or workplace. It’s becoming more and more popular since individuals and workplaces are discovering the benefits of massage as a relaxation and stress-reducing therapy.
Here we walk through everything there is to know about mobile massage therapy.
What is mobile massage therapy
Many people want the benefits of massage but unfortunately lead such busy lives that they struggle to fit some ‘me time’ into their schedules. This means that not everyone has the time to visit a massage clinic. Mobile massage therapy fills this void by making it possible for anyone to receive the therapeutic and health benefits of massage. This is because it delivers traditional massage straight to the client – whether that’s at their home, office, or business.
Mobile massage therapists will use form sort of transportation in which they can carry with them a portable massage table and all the necessary supplies for their treatments. As a mobile massage therapist, you can give clients the gift of relaxation and time-out during their hectic and often overwhelming schedules.
Pros and cons of mobile massage therapy
As a mobile massage therapist, you have the freedom to work anywhere there’s demand. Offering a mobile service will open you up to more clients and allow you the ability to offer relaxation anyone who needs it. So as long as you have the transport, you can take your massage table with you and work anywhere.
Even if you haven’t got a massage table, you can offer seated head, neck, and shoulder massages to clients at their office desks. It’s a truly flexible, rewarding career option if you’re interested in the massage industry.
Let’s look further at the pros and cons of mobile massage therapy:
Pros of mobile massage
- Cost-saving: Having a mobile massage business is generally more cost-effective. If you run a traditional massage clinic, you need to budget in factors such as rent, electricity, telephone lines, street signage and other associated business costs. With mobile massage, you only need reliable transport and the essential equipment.
- Flexibility and variety: It can get boring working in the same office every day. With a mobile massage business, every day is different. You may be visiting an elderly client at a nursing home one day, and then tending to an office worker in a high-rise building the next day.
- Mobile marketing: Another advantage of having a mobile massage business is that you have the means to market your services everywhere you go. You can cover your vehicle in your business signage and run other marketing through social media.
- Convenient for clients: With mobile massage, you’re tapping into a market that may have been overlooked. Clients who are too busy to visit a massage clinic are able to call on your services and experience relaxation in the midst of their busy days.
- Fewer cancellations: Many mobile massage therapists experience fewer cancellations, and clients tend to cancel less frequently than those who get massages at a set location.
Cons of mobile massage
- Travel time and costs: One of the drawbacks of mobile massage is the fact that you’re always mobile. This means you have to deal with traffic conditions more frequently than if you were to work at a set location. It also means you need to set aside a good portion of your profits to petrol, which can be very expensive.
- Entering busy or casual environments: As a mobile massage therapist, you don’t have the peace and comfort of your own massage room. Instead, you’ll be visiting clients at various locations; often in busy workplaces or spaces that have distractions such as other people, TV’s running in the background, and more. This can create a very disruptive workspace.
- Stricter organisation required: Being mobile means you have to be organised and have all the necessary equipment with you wherever you go. You also need to factor keep all your correspondence and client booking information with you at all times.
- Physical demand: Being mobile means having to carry your massage table and supplies with you, sometimes upstairs or in elevators. This can be physically demanding.
Tips for running a mobile massage therapy business
Getting into mobile massage therapy is an exciting venture and can be very rewarding. Here are a few of the basics to help you get started:
1. Get a qualification in massage
If you aren’t qualified, then you’re not legally able to work as a massage therapist in Australia. The first thing you should do if you want to run your own massage therapy business is to enrol in an accredited and recognised course such as those offered by Discover Massage Australia . It’s through your education that you’ll learn all the basics of massage, as well as how to manage a business and deal with different clients and modalities of massage.
2. Licencing and insurance
You’ll need the proper licencing requirements and insurance to run a mobile massage business. But in many cases, you may only need to be properly licensed to practice mobile massage. Look up your state’s specific requirements or a relevant professional bodies
3. Invest in transport and equipment
You need to have a reliable mode of transport, preferably your own car or van. You also need portable equipment such as a massage table, as well as other required items such as oils, sheets and towels that can be placed into a carry bag.
4. Market your business
Invest in high-quality signage for your vehicle so you have a mobile advertisement and potential clients are able to see you whenever you’re moving between jobs. Setting up your own website as well as a social media page will also give you a way of marketing your business while keeping in contact with clients in real time.
Get qualified to work as a mobile massage therapist
Starting a career in mobile massage therapy begins with a recognised qualification in massage. Discover Massage Australia offers a range of industry recognised courses that can help you get started. Learn how to apply different modalities of massage, as well as how to apply for professional insurance, so you can start your mobile massage business as soon as possible.