Have you been told that you have a gift for massage? Whether you’re always happy to give someone a friendly shoulder rub, or you’ve helped your friends out with their sports injuries, a career as a massage therapist could be a good move for you.
Massage therapy is an incredibly rewarding career. You will make real, positive changes to the way your clients feel day-to-day. If you love people and feel like you’d be able to build a strong rapport with a new network of clients, then the daily goings-on of a massage clinic could be something you’d really enjoy.
Let’s take a look at the four steps to take if you’re thinking about becoming a massage therapist.
1. Consider if it’s the right career path for you
There are a few questions that you’ll need to ask yourself before you begin to pursue a career in massage therapy.
There’s often more to being a massage therapist than people think, so it’s important to consider some of the other things you may be doing day-to-day (other than massaging clients, of course). In any day, you could be arranging appointments, setting up furniture in the clinic, meeting with clients to tailor treatment programs, taking phone calls or managing cash and payments. You should think about whether these are things that you’d also enjoy.
Continued training and education is a mandatory requirement for massage therapists, especially if you would like to become a licenced therapist with your own clinic. Most massage therapy associations require their members to maintain a certain amount of Continued Professional Education Points to maintain membership.
In the health field, training is never completed – no one ever ‘knows it all’, and it’s an ongoing process for your entire career. Being someone who genuinely enjoys learning is a big plus if you’re considering a career in massage therapy.
2. Do your homework
As well as thinking about yourself, it’s also a good idea to think about what the massage therapy industry is like in the area that you live in.
Is there job availability in your area? If not, will you be prepared to move somewhere else (even to another city)? If there are positions available, where are they? Are they in clinics, on cruise ships, in day spas, or wellness centres? Do you want to work full time or part time? Will you be able to afford the equipment that you need to get off your feet at the beginning of your career?
These are all vital things to consider before you jump off the launchpad into your new massage therapy career.
3. It’s time to start researching your education options
Thankfully, Discover Massage Australia makes it easy to choose the right industry-recognised course to make sure you get plenty of practical experience and finish the course feeling 100% ready to start your massage therapy career off on your strongest foot.
Discover Massage Australia is a privately-owned massage college that has diligently trained thousands of industry-leading professional graduates. We strongly advocate for our students having extensive practical experience during their course, as we believe this is the best way to learn massage – with a ‘hands-on’ method.
There are a number of different Discover Massage courses you can choose from to start your journey:
- Certificate in Whole Body Massage – Our two day Certificate in Whole Body Massage course will give you the thorough base technique to start your career. You’ll learn a complete, whole-body massage system, techniques to relax your clients’ muscles, and learn how to interact with clients. Nationally recognised by the Massage Association of Australia (MAA) and the International Institute for Complementary Therapists (IICT), with this course you’ll be able to start working (and earning) sooner.
- Deep Tissue Massage for Common Injuries I – This course will take you to the next level by teaching you a whole-body massage system that can be used to treat injuries. Whether it’s deep upper back pain, tennis elbow or a sprained ankle, you’ll be ready to run a professional business with an in-depth, focussed course like this one.
- Deep Tissue Massage for Common Injuries II – The second level of our Deep Tissue Massage course will expand on your skills. This course will teach you how to treat almost every common complaint and will allow you to diagnose and treat pulled, strained or torn muscle and develop a treatment plan.
- Certificate IV in Massage Therapy Practice – This course is for after you’ve completed your Certificate in Whole Body Massage and Deep Tissue Massage for Injuries 1 and 2. You’ll have 12 months to complete the online modules, accompanied with 80 clinic hours with a third party therapist – so you’ll be learning on the job! This course will take your massage career to new heights as you gain a nationally-accredited qualification, allowing you to work in health and aged care facilities, as well as spa facilities and professional sporting clubs. It’s hands-on learning and you can earn as you learn!
As we’ve mentioned before, the massage therapy industry is an extremely competitive one, so it’s important to make sure you’re constantly learning. This will ensure you’re staying ahead of the pack and remaining attractive to potential employers.
4. Secure your insurance, registration and equipment
Once you’ve completed your courses, you’ll need to get your Senior First Aid and CPR qualifications. You’ll also need to acquire professional indemnity insurance, public liability insurance and product liability insurance, to ensure you’re protected in case of an accident.
It’s also recommended that you register with a massage industry association body. There are many different choices in Australia, however Discover Massage recommends the Massage Association of Australia and the International Institute for Complementary Therapists (IICT).
Once you’ve got all that sorted, you’ll need to purchase the equipment required to start massaging! This will include a massage table (be sure to choose the right one for your height), and a variety of massage oils and bolsters to make your clients feel comfortable.
Start your massage therapy journey
Discover Massage Australia make it easy to get started developing your fantastic new career in massage therapy. It’s rewarding, challenging and fun, and we’re sure you’re going to love it! Become a qualified massage therapist with Discover Massage Australia today.